Advertisements

Natural Sweetener Alternative to replace Sugar | Healthy Alternatives

Have you ever thought of using any natural sweetener alternative to replace sugar? Whenever we add sugar, it’s the refined sugar, which is zero in it’s nutritional content. Every second person is aware that excess of sugar is bad for us. All the sugar free substitutes available in market are artificial sweeteners. They do have their damaging side effects that cover headache, migraine, mood disorders, damage of liver and kidney functions. It’s just that because of the advertising hype, we find it really hard to know which sweeteners are a healthy option for us. And if we find a natural sweetener alternative to replace sugar, it’s just awesome!

Almost all of us want to follow a healthy lifestyle for the wellness of our body. Adding natural sweetener alternative in our food is a part of it. I do understand that the people with a sweet tooth can find it tough to quit refined sugar. Please give it a second thought, it’s certainly worth a try. We can’t control everything in our life but, we can definitely control what we put in our body. I have seen people choosing diet drinks as a healthy alternative but, they contain artificial sweeteners which are not much better. Thankfully there are natural sweetener alternative that are wonderful and ultimately healthy to replace refined sugar and artificial sweeteners for us.
Healthy Breakfast Recipes EBOOK (homemade breakfast made in just 15 min) click on the button to claim your FREE COPY – by Its Healthy Moms

1. Raw Honey as a Natural Sweetener Alternative

raw-honey-benefits-1

This is nature’s best antibiotic and one of perfect natural sweetener alternative. Raw honey’s benefits are tremendous. But remember, the honey has to be raw and non-processed form. It is rich in proteins, minerals, vitamins, antioxidants. Apart from a natural healthy sweetener, it is an essential part of Indian home remedies. Especially for colds, cough or flu since ages and boosts immune system. But, if you are insulin sensitive or have diabetes, you need to use it carefully. I have been using raw honey for more than a year now. Apart from being used as a natural sweetener alternative, you may read more about it at Organic Garhwall Raw Honey Review

2. Dates

dates.png

Whole dates are full of fibre and antioxidants. Rich in minerals like copper, calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese, potassium, vitamin B6 and vitamin K. All these properties make them an awesome healthy natural sweetener alternative. They form an awesome sweet alternative for toddlers.  However it tastes slightly more sweeter than refined sugar. One may use them after making their paste. Soak the dates in water until soft and then ground, to make paste. Date sugar is also available. It is made from dry dates by grounding them into sugar like particles. However, date’s nutrient content decreases when date sugar is used.

3. Coconut Sugar as Natural Sweetener Alternative

Coconut-Sugar.jpg

Coconut sugar is also called coconut palm sugar as it is obtained from the sap of the coconut palm. It contains minerals like calcium, iron, potassium and zinc along with some antioxidants. It’s glycaemic index(GI – a measure of how quickly foods raise blood sugar levels) is lower than that of sugar. Contains a fibre known as inulin which may help to slow glucose absorption thus offering a healthy natural sweetener alternative to those dealing with diabetes.

4. Stevia

stevia.png

Stevia is processed from the leaf of the stevia plant which is native to Central and South America. Nowadays it is growing in popularity across the world as a healthy natural sweetener alternative. It is considered about 200 times sweeter than sugar but, doesn’t raise blood sugar levels like sugar. Even the fresh leaves of the plant can be used on their own. Studies have shown that pure stevia extract have no effect on blood glucose levels and may even improve the body’s ability to metabolise glucose.

5. Yacon Syrup

yaconsyruponline-

It is an another natural sweetener alternative to replace sugar. Yacon syrup is made from the root of yacon plant. The plant grows natively in South America. It contains a good amount of fructooligosaccharides, which feed the good bacteria in the intestine.

So go ahead and let’s include these healthy natural sweetener alternative to replace sugar in our daily diet and lead a healthy lifestyle.

Advertisements
  1. Im glad I use 4/5 that you’ve mentioned. I have never heard of Yacon or have seen them in stores?? I’ll have to try!

1. it’s really nice to hear that you are using 4 of these….. together on the way to live healthy

2. A few years ago I made the decision to commit to a healthier lifestyle and took refined sugar out of my diet. I now eat it, gluten and milk only on occasion and I’ve noticed a huge difference in my digestion and skin. I love raw organic honey, coconut sugar and date sugar is pretty awesome as well! I’ve bought pure stevia but have to get used to its taste!
    Thanks for this and for inspiring us to make healthier choices! 🙂

3. I never knew about coconut sugar. Of all the options that seems the most intriguing to me and the one I’m most likely to try out!

1. Even I came to know about coconut sugar around a couple of months back and now it is one of my favourite alternatives to replace sugar.

4. These natural sugar can really help the people who can’t have as they are suffering from diabetes . Will recommend them to my father . Thanks.

5. Great list. I didn’t even know that coconut sugar and Yacon Syrup existed. I’m always on the look out for alternative sweeteners for my baking so I’ll now have more to consider!

1. it’s really nice to hear that you found few more alternatives to use instead of refined sugar.

6. Corinne and Kirsty February 6, 2018 at 8:26 pm

The only sweetener i am using is honey, although i have not used it in a very long time!

1. well raw honey is great alternative, you may try other natural sweeteners listed, these are really healthy options

7. This is really good to know about new alternative of sugar. I have shared this post with my mom so she can take some idea from this post.

1. thanks a lot, it’s really nice to hear that you liked the post

8. Truly in India, we love to use natural honey a lot. Today only I mixed the honey in boiled water to get the cold away from me. Apart from the honey, dates and coconut sugar are also used very much in India. I never heard about yacon syrup.

1. well yacon is native from South America and not grown in India however, it’s very similar to shakarkandi, it’s really nice to hear that you already use raw honey and dates

9. Awesome! My girlfriend is absolutely on a health kick right now. And I’m super excited for her because it’s really starting to show! This is exactly the kind of stuff she freaks out about. Sending to her now to see what she thinks 🙂

1. oh that’s great, I hope she likes these natural healthy alternatives and replaces sugar

10. kellyhutchinson37920 February 7, 2018 at 10:31 pm

I am borderline diabetic, so watching my sugar intake is very important. I had not heard of yacon syrup before. Interesting.

11. Wonderful recommendations! I could never really get into Stevia, but raw honey and yacon syrup are excellent choices.

12. I never knew about coconut sugar. Of all the options that seems the most intriguing to me and would try as i buy them!

13. I use the first two, but am not familiar with the last three. I’ll have to look into coconut sugar!

1. coconut sugar is a great alternative, you’ll easily find it in organic stores

14. I’m so happy to have read this post, I’m trying to cut as much sugar out as possible (even though I have a HUGE sweet tooth) & i think these sweetners might help me a lot!

15. I use honey as alternative, or no sweet at all. It is better to be safe than have diabetes. It is not a good accessory.

1. yeah, its good to be safe as prevention is always better than cure 😉

16. Great article!

17. I didn’t even know that coconut sugar, will try it for sure! I think it will taste very good! Let’s see…

1. yeah, coconut sugar tastes really good…. I just love it’s taste… however, if you don’t try new things very often then you need to develop to it’s taste.

18. Very useful tips – this is quite informative, thanks a lot, however I’d never heard of yacon syrup.

1. thanks a lot… good you heard about yacon syrup now and may find it in the organic stores

19. Oooo Stevia, I will remember that!

20. […] Natural Healthy Sweetener Alternatives to replace Sugar February 3, 2018 […]

21. […] you are amongst those who have a sweet tooth then you may read Healthy-Natural Sweetener Alternatives to Replace Sugar. At least these natural and healthy substitutes are not empty calories and will provide you with […]