Advertisements

Superfoods | Indian | Help Healing

There is a saying, ‘what you eat, is what you are!’. Superfoods are the nutrient rich foods, considered to be extremely beneficial for health and well being. Over consumption of any particular food affects your health negatively and so does the lack of any food item from your diet. Thus, it is crucial to eat just right. For instance, it is essential to know what sort of foods boost your metabolism. Or the foods that will lead you towards a healthier living.

Parents must say no to processed foods from the early years of their children. It is essential to feed probiotics like curd, and prebiotics like ghee to the kids. Well yes, ghee is a prebiotic! You may read more about it on Why should I eat Ghee?

The food you eat can either be the safest and most powerful form of cure or the slowest form of poison. Let your food be your medicine. Superfoods tend to come with numerous super claims. Like stimulating the immune system, protection against cancer, aiding weight loss, protection against heart ailments, are quite a few. So the question is which foods are undeniably super? How far are all such statements true? Let us find the answers and the various types of superfoods that help healing within.

Moringa – one of the Vital Superfoods

moringa - one of the superfoods

Moringa is known as the world’s most beneficial tree by food nutritionists. Scientifically known as Moringa Oleifera and locally as the drumstick tree. The tree is found in India, Nepal, Pakistan, Afghanistan and Bangladesh. The bark, leaves, flowers, fruits, seeds and root are utilized to make medicine. It has been used by medical practitioners to treat anemia, arthritis, diabetes, heart and liver ailments. Also the respiratory, skin and digestive issues. It contains all the 9 essential amino acids.

I am sharing this link with you which contains more than 60 recipes on Moringa Leaves

Amla – Indian Superfoods

superfood

This is another powerful superfood, also known as the Indian gooseberry. It contains 20 times more vitamin C than orange. Can also help you to reduce belly fat. In order to read more about this, you may go through Health Benefits of the Indian Gooseberry.

Indian Basil Seeds

indian superfoods

Locally known as sabja seeds/ sabza seeds/ kasa-kassa. They are really rigid to chew. So, better not to take them in the raw form. These seeds are most beneficial when soaked before consuming. They start to swell become gelatinous when in contact with water. They help to treat acidity and heartburn, control the blood sugar levels, reduce body heat, relieve constipation and bloating, cure cough and flu, help to lose weight, give healthy skin and hair. Hence, these are certainly worth adding to your diet.

Many of you must be aware of the famous ‘falooda drink’. Well, it is an awesome refreshing drink to sip on during summers. This is because, it contains a good amount of the Indian basil seeds. They help to cool our inner system.

Bael

Indian superfoods

Also, known as the ‘wood apple’. This is one of those wonderful Indian superfoods, that has great curative value. However, it is the fruit of the summer season because of its considerable cooling properties. The bael is not only rich in antioxidants but, also beneficial for your gut or any digestive issues. Please note it may take a while for most of you to get used to its taste. Also its scent might put off few of you!

Adaptogens

These are basically the herbs or you may say the healing plants. If you are looking for the means to be fit inside out then these adaptogens will help you. Also, they aid the body in dealing with anxiety. Most commonly known adaptogens are basil(tulsi), turmeric(haldi), Indian ginseng(ashwagandha). Well, ashwagandha has shown remarkable results for lowering cortisol (stress hormone) and stabilizing thyroid hormones. The holy basil (tulsi), has anti-aging properties. Also, naturally it is anti-inflammatory and fight seasonal flus.

So now you are aware of the Indian superfoods. I hope you will include these in your daily regime. Let the food you eat be your Medicine!

You can Heal Your Body with Food!

Advertisements
  1. These are a nice collection of indian food which help healing …. I Have my mom who cooks the drumstick… not a big fan of it, i heard the drumstick plant leaves are also very good for health.

1. Thank you so much! Even I am not a fan of the moringa leaves. I just cannot bear their taste. We have these because of their numerous benefits.

2. I’m not a very picky eater and I try to balance my choice of foods. However, I seem to have this very strong sensitivity toward the smell of food and I especially hate the smell of curry. Moderation seems to be the key in order to maximize the food nutrients and its power of healing.

1. Absolutely Nina. To balance what we eat is really important. Even I believe in creating healthy habits that nourish. Not the restrictions that punish!

3. We have gotten rid of a lot of processed foods in our home, but still allow some treats for the kids. I think moderation in all things is important.

1. Yup! It is really important to find a balance in moderation!

4. Moringa is a superfood and I thank my Mom for introducing this at home since our childhood. This is locally known as “malunggay” and its a hassle-free to grown this!

1. So you are one of those lucky kids who got a chance to eat this superfood right from your childhood. I hope you are having it now as well! And, I absolutely agree with you. Moringa can be grown really easily in one’s kitchen garden.

5. Wow you have a lot of super foods there! From the items you’ve mentioned, we only have malunggay. We eat malunggay with our soup and also take it in capsule form.

1. Malunggay (moringa), is loaded with health benefits. I am glad that it is a part of your diet 🙂

6. This is such an interesting article indeed! I learned alot about superfoods and indian healing and it was really helpful.

1. I am glad that you found the article useful.

7. I love Indian food. Our local has a starter called “Ladies Fingers” and that reminds me of the first thing in your list. Tis important to eat ‘ealthy!

1. I am fond of the Indian food as well. My dear the first thing that you see here is not ladyfinger but, Moringa!

8. I’ve never heard of any of these before! This is such a great post and such a great resource for superfoods! It’s so important to put healthy food in your body. Everyone could use these superfoods!

1. Thank you so much for stopping by!

9. Wow I’d never head of any of these healing foods before. But it’s amazing the health benefits they have. I’d love to get a hold of Adaptogens for my anxiety.

1. Adaptogens are a natural, effective way to reduce both depression and anxiety. You may start by supplementing your diet with Ashwagandha (Asian Ginseng).

10. I love to eat Amla Pickle. Amla pickle is so delicious but I had no idea that Amla is good for reducing belly fat. Thanks for this information.

1. Ya, it is a lesser known fact is that amla is an effective weight loss aid!

11. I was told that typical indian products are so healthy and that indian diet is so full of super food. Your post is the demonstration of it 🙂

1. I’m so glad you liked it! I hope it will be of some help to you.

12. I am totally open to anything that helps to promote healing. I have an auto immune that has my body attack itself so have tons of sores. Some of this stuff may help me!

1. Oh Sorry to hear about it! As per the research, a whole food, plant-based diet, can make a world of difference for you! And yes, ghee will be good for your gut………. Lots of love!

13. Ah! Superfood! I also started an article about superfood but it’s true that every continent have their specialties. Here I discover one from India. Thank your for that!

Ben – http://www.nutrition-newage.com

1. Looking forward to read your article on superfoods 🙂

14. Thanks for sharing this information on Superfoods. I will try to find gooseberries maybe at an indian food store, or do you know where I may locate them?

1. These are usually available at the organic stores. And yes, you can always order them online

15. I love that you have shared foods that have some amazing benefits for wellness. I am always looking for natural ways to feel my best.

1. Thank you so much! I am glad that you liked these